What is an Attribute Token? (Video Tip)

Learn Tokens in Dundas BI Part 2/6

Tokens in Dundas BI are a fantastic feature that you need to understand to maximize your ability to create powerful dashboards and reports. This is the second of a series of tips covering all 6 different types of Tokens in Dundas BI.

Attribute tokens allow you to perform user-based filtering, and it is unique among all different types of tokens. This is the mechanism in Dundas BI that allows for Role Level/Row Level/User Level security (call it what you want). Let’s create an example.

Do you know basic tokens but maybe not some of the more advanced ones? Check out the following:

Introduction to Tokens and Basic Tokens
->What is an Attribute Token?
What is a Relative Time Token?
What is Script Token?
What is a Data Token?
What is a Named Set Token?

If you’d like to learn more, I’d recommend you go to my learning channel - Off the Charts (with Jeff).
https://www.dundas.com/resources/off-the-charts-tips-from-an-expert

2 Likes

Hi Jeff,
Does this works if the user has access granted thru an Active Directory group, instead of being registered directly in Dundas? I mean if I have an Active Directory containing all the users living in Canada, and use it for granting access to something in Dundas to all the Active Directory users that are in it, is this still working? Or does this only work for a specific user that has access granted, be it using his/hers Active Directory account or declaring him/her in the Dundas DB as user? Thanks in advance.

Hi,

In this post: Active Directory Sync I’m told that you can apply custom attributes to AD groups and apply as security hierarchies. If I’m understanding correctly, this means that if a user in the AD group logs into Dundas for the first time they will see whatever that AD group has been given access to.

Not sure if this helps?

Derek

1 Like

thanks Derek, that answers my question.