What is a Data Token? (Video Tip)

Learn Tokens in Dundas BI Part 5/6

Tokens in Dundas BI are a fantastic feature that you need to understand to maximize your ability to create powerful dashboards and reports. This is the fifth of a series of tips covering all 6 different types of Tokens in Dundas BI.

The Data Token is often overlooked as next to the script token may be one of the most powerful and flexible tokens available. A Data Token allows you to select a filter based on a query from another table.

Some clarification in this video:
After reviewing this, I’m not sure I was completely clear on what is happening, so here is a quick summary of the case I created in this video. In this video, I use a Data Cube to determine the most recent sale date in our sales transaction table. Because the Data Token allows for subsection (First, Last, Minimum, Maximum, All), in my example, it probably would not be needed to do all the sorting and filtering that I did to get the last sale. With my data, I very well could have just had the Data Cube as is and used the “Last” option to get this value. I manipulated the Data Cube because I wanted to show that you could first play with the data to ensure that the cube is returning what you want to see. Yes, this wasn’t needed in my example, but you may have an example where it is, so it was done for completeness in showing the concept. On the dashboard, I use the token to select the date of the 'Last Order." Please be aware that the Data Cube being visualized on the dashboard and the data and the one controlling the filter are different. When I apply the token, it goes to the Data Cube that we just built and pulls the date “5/1/2015” as the data of our last order. In the table I am visualizing, there is more than one order that takes place on this date, which is why we see multiple data points returned and not just one. Hope this helps clear up any confusion.

Do you know basic tokens but maybe not some of the more advanced ones? Check out the following:

Introduction to Tokens and Basic Tokens
What is an Attribute Token?
What is a Relative Time Token?
What is Script Token?
->What is a Data Token?
What is a Named Set Token?

If you’d like to learn more, I’d recommend you go to my learning channel - Off the Charts (with Jeff).
https://www.dundas.com/resources/off-the-charts-tips-from-an-expert

3 Likes