X-axis labels on bar chart overlapping

HI,

Unchecking_checking_parameter_selection

Had a question bout X-axis labels on bar chart overlapping (see attached screenshots) - when I initially add more than 5 selections in my Payer dropdown (parameter selection) the LABELS on X-axis get messed up (you’ll notice certain bars have 2 payers as labels on x-axis. When I go back to parameter dropdown and quickly uncheck/check any member/selection then labels on x-axis clear up and look good (screenshot #3) - unfortunately, dashboard consumers won’t accept this as a solution :)…

I was wondering if there is a setting under chart properties that could help fix this or if this is a glitch in Dundas BI app? I tried setting horizontal and vertical zooming to show ‘less items’ but did not solve this issue.

Thank you.

-Semir

Hi Semir, Thank you for passing on the relevant screenshots.

To investigate can you please share the following three screenshots?

1. In the Data analysis panel of the metric set, the Visulaization tab -> Bottom axis
  2. In the properties panel of the metric set, select Bottom Axis 1 -> Text
  3. In the properties panel of the metric set, select Bottom Axis 1 -> Payer Comparison

I have attached the sample screenshot which you can refer to upload yours:

Reference: https://www.dundas.com/support/learning/documentation/data-visualizations/using-chart-properties

HI KV,

Thank you for your reply. Please see attached the screenshots. I tried playing with checkboxes under Properties/Text but did not seem to work.

Thank you.

Hi Semir,
Thank you for the screenshot and it looks fine to me as well.
Yeah it looks like if you are selecting more than 5 Payers the labels in X axis does tend to overlap. I believe it boils down to the width of each bar. Let me know check with my internal team and will get back to you on this.

I was also wondering, would it be ok if all the multiple payers are shown horizontally below each bar and not overlap? As per my understanding you want to display all the selected payers in the X-Axis with good readability. Is this correct? Thanks.

HI KV,

Thank you for looking into this. Yes, I am ok whichever way Payers on X-axis display (i.e. horizontally) as long as they do NOT overlap. I did try making bars smaller but no luck.

Thank you.

Hi Semir,
Can you try the following settings in Bottom Axis 1 -> Label Style -> Auto Fit methods

Result
results

If the above settings doesn’t work I need to consult my product team and get back to you on Tuesday, since Monday is a Canadian National Holiday.
Please let me know your findings.

HI KV,

I tried your suggestion but still no luck.

Thank you!

Hi Semir, Looks like I need to speak with the internal team then. Shall provide an update tomorrow.

Hi Semir,

Sorry you didn’t get a response here earlier, I’m not sure if you were in contact with someone already. Your screenshot shows several labels duplicated and positioned where there are no corresponding bars, and that’s not expected behavior. Unless there might be script involved, possibly resulting in a message shown in the browser’s JavaScript console, please contact support so that we can determine how this is happening because it is not something we have seen before.

Thanks