Unable to login to Dundas BI

Hi,

We recently switched over our application database from a physical server to a virtual one. This is when we started getting problems.

Here's the error message we are receiving

ErrorMessage.txt

I can connect to SQL (via SSMS) with the user ID and password in the connectionString (in the dbi.config file).

Here's the format of the dbi.config file

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<configuration>

<connectionStrings>

<add name="AppConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=xx.xx.x.xx;Initial Catalog=&quot;db_Name&quot;;User ID=DundasBI_user;Password=xxxxxxx" />

</connectionStrings>

<appSettings>

<!-- The type of database server hosting the Application database. Can be "SqlServer" or "Postgres". -->

<add key="ApplicationStorage" value="SqlServer" />

</appSettings>

</configuration>

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You say you can connect to the SQl server via SSMS but is that from the same server that the Dundas application is on?

Can you ping from the Dundas Server to the SQL Server?

Is the Dundas Server and the SQL Server both in the Cloud?

We also recently moved from a physical location to a Cloud service.

Looking at the error file it looks like the Dundas Server does not know or cannot talk to the SQL server.

Try it with the name of the server and the ip address, sound like there some network set up that needs to be completed like dns a b c records and names stuff like that and maybe some cloud this computer can talk this network and the other that the two are on (private network stuff) sorry I not more technical on the network set up I am not on that team and just know some simple basics.

Hello,

The application server is on a different server than the database server. From the application server I can ping the new database server.

When I just create a test.udl file on my desktop I can create a test connection and properly connect to the database server. So I'm wondering if there's something wrong with the dbi.config file I have?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<configuration>

<connectionStrings>

<add name="AppConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=xx.xx.x.xx;Initial Catalog=&quot;db_Name&quot;;User ID=DundasBI_user;Password=xxxxxxx" />

</connectionStrings>

<appSettings>

<!-- The type of database server hosting the Application database. Can be "SqlServer" or "Postgres". -->

<add key="ApplicationStorage" value="SqlServer" />

</appSettings>

</configuration>

I'm more worried about this line, not sure why it's formatted this way with the &quot

Data Source=xx.xx.x.xx;Initial Catalog=&quot;db_Name&quot;;User ID=DundasBI_user;Password=xxxxxxx

if you can ping from the Dundas to the SQL server with the dns names and reverse then contact support for help with the config file.

Have to decrypted the file? https://www.dundas.com/support/support-center/support-articles/configuration/using-the-dt-command-line-tool section 3.4

Thanks.

Yeah, I've been using the dt.exe tool to encrypt and decrypt to see the string values.

Is support free to contact? Or is this a paid service?

I think it comes with the lisence, call them and ask. I did not buy it so not sure what the set up is all I know is these guys are great and the price is for what we are getting is an fantastic deal.

you might want to put ssms on the dudas box and try logging into the Db with the same user and pass that dundas is using.

If you are in the cube then most likely you can contact support as well - this type of questions is usually better handled by reaching out directly to the team using the options detailed here. As far as I understand the issue was solved by recycling the application pool.

For anyone curious about the solution. I needed to simply just reboot the application server. I initally didn't think of this because I thought that a simple change in the connection string wouldn't require this but here's the answer I got back from Dundas Support

Hope this helps anyone in the future!

Dundas BI application is carefully designed so that almost nothing should require the application pool to be recycled. The only exceptions to this that I can think of are:

1. A change was made to some on-disk file, such as dbi.config, localization files, JS/CSS overrides, etc. – This is your case

2. A new server-side extension (e.g. custom accounts provider) was just installed

3. A configuration change was made on another server in the same instance, and you don’t want to wait up to 30 seconds until the current server picks it up.

4. The w3wp.exe process is consuming too many resources and you need to shut it down.