[TIP 77] Expand / Collapse An Area On Your Dashboard

Does your dashboard contain an area that is sometimes needed, but at other times simply sitting idle, consuming important real estate on your dashboard? If so, you should consider providing your users the ability to expand and collapse that area on a simple button click!

A common use case for that would be for the area that hosts the dashboard filter controls as demonstrated here:

Image title

Click on the image or follow this link to access the demonstration.

Steps on how to set this up are fully detailed here.

This is a cool feature but I been just having a button that shows a layer (and button on that layer to hide it). I am not usre my users would realize that the text is a clickable thing, also I like to have that layer be semi transparent so you can see the changes happen, but with this you can see the changes even clearer.

This might be good when I have only a few filters.

note that this interaction doesn't have to be triggered using a label (text) - you can define it from any component including images, buttons, etc. In addition, you can also set a background to the cell that is collapsed (or the one the stretches) using a rectangle component and thus achieve the semi transparent design you mentioned.