[TIP 69] Graceful Error Handling

Building analytical systems are no different than building any other software; under certain situations, things may go wrong. Sometimes, those situations are even expected and you know up front they may occur under certain conditions.

In other cases, things may go wrong "by design", depending on the solution you're designing.

For example, one may configure a certain visual metric set to deny access from a certain group of users. If those users are now loading a dashboard that contains that metric set, they will get an error message indicating their access is denied.

In other cases, the error may not be expected at first but changes in other areas (data structure or else) may trigger them. For developers and content creators, the error messages are often beneficial, helping them to create a better solution. However, for content consumers, these error messages may be annoying or meaningless.

Dundas BI allows you to handle the errors in different ways so you can provide an optimal experience for your consumers. For example, if you are building a solution for your external customers or high-level execs and you want to make sure they never see an error message, you can configure the application to Ignore Inline Errors.

This is done under the admin -> setup -> config screen as detailed HERE and showcased in the image below. In addition, each visualization offers a Data Error action where you can configure your own action (i.e., change layer to show a layer with your own custom message instead) or even provide a script to handle the situation using your own custom logic.

Using these configurations – you can provide an even smoother experience to your consumers, avoiding unnecessary frustrations.

1 Like

Can you disable errors for some users and display for others? (display for devs)

The configuration to Ignore Inline Errors simply hides them from the users. They are still being logged and are accessible to administrators.

With that being said, this configuration setting is on the application level and cannot be set for just one group or another. If you need that sort of functionality, please include your use case or business problem, and I will submit it to the development team for assessment as a feature request.

Hi Jordan,

I disabled error reporting and inline errors, but users still encounter errors like this:

Do these fall under a different category? Is there a way to hide them or customize their look?

Thanks,

Kinneret

Hey Kinneret,

Unfortunately, these user-directed errors cannot be removed - they're there in order to prevent a situation where a user makes an action and nothing happens. That being said you are able to customize these messages in the following manner:

1 - Remove the techincal details by disabling the stack trace. This property setting can be seen in my image above.

2 - You can then use CSS overrides to change the look and feel of the error. I recommend viewing the following article for more information on how this can be accomplished: https://www.dundas.com/support/developer/samples/branding/dundas-bi-white-labeling

Let me know if that does the trick!