[TIP 64] How to Auto-Color Your Member Values...

...(i.e., dimension categories) using consistent colors and across multiple visualizations

Color is a visual attribute that is often used for highlighting (i.e., the color RED often signifies the worst values in a bar chart or negative cells within a table), but it can also be used for quick recognition of non-numerical values like brands (i.e., Coca Cola is RED and Pepsi is BLUE).

If data consumers can intuitively recognize categories based on their colors rather than being forced to read the labels, they may save some time while trying to understand what the visual is telling them.

This is even more important when you are looking at the same categories, but across multiple measures in different visuals. If you are trying to associate and review the category's performance across a few visuals at once, consistent colors can go a long way.

To apply those colors in Dundas BI, one can simply use the discrete rule option, and apply a specific color to a specific value (as mentioned – Coca Cola is RED, etc.)

You can find the exact steps on how to do so, by clicking here.

However, sometimes the color has no association with the brand and instead, the goal is to use the color just to associate the same category across multiple measures faster.

In those cases, the above option is still available but when you have many possible categories, it may require a bit more setup going to each category and defining it’s color. Another option in that case would be use a range color rule using a numeric value instead of a categorical value.

With a couple of properties settings, you can make sure you will always get the same color for the different categories even when displayed on different visuals where not all of the categories are present. Here are the steps:

1. In your data, make sure you have a numerical color ID column for each category. That will be a running color from 1 to how many categories you have in your data (in the example below I have 10). This numerical column can be defined in the source database or in Dundas BI data cubes but the key here is to have the same color ID for each category no matter how you slice the data for your visuals.
  2. On your visual, instead of binding the category to the color, bind the color ID measure.
  3. Within your auto color rule, define the number of classes to match the total number of categories you have in your data and set the distribution to an equal interval.

And here you go – 2 different visuals but the same category colors are maintained across both:

**DUNDAS BI VERSION 5 UPDATE:**

With the new version 5 color binding behavior - you just need to follow the following steps the get the same color applied to all of your visuals:

1. On your first visual, drag the coloring dimension onto the color binding:

2. Save this visual style
  3. Repeat step #1 on the second chart
  4. Apply the style created in step #2 to the second chart

*If you have any questions or comments about this tip, just let us know below!*