[TIP 62] Use Multiple Tabs to Develop Faster

During your development process, you may have needed to go back-and-forth between your data cube and metric set, or metric set and dashboard. Instead of navigating back-and-forth between each page, you can simply open another tab in your browser and keep it open within the required design.

You should note that by doing so, you may need at times to refresh elements within the page (such as the explore objects tree), or even the entire page to see the latest changes.

You can save yourself a great deal of time by avoiding extra navigation!

--

**DUNDAS BI 5 UPDATE**

The ability to copy and paste between tabs has been disabled in Dundas BI 5 as that option exposed the users to risk of creating corrupted dashboards where objects are not referenced correctly (see comments below).

That being said, we have a variant on this tip (courtesy of ) that allows you to make edits to your dashboard, and see those changes much faster than switching back-and-forth on View Mode.

Select Sandbox View, which will open a preview of your dashboard that is sandboxed in a new window:

Image title

With this open in a separate tab, you can edit your dashboard, and to see the changes, simply refresh the sandboxed view. Once you're done looking at the changes, the edit page is right where you left it, ready to be worked on!

I also used to use differnt windows to copy and paste from one dashboard to another but this feature is getting removed in 5 correct ?

I really really hope not.

I agree, if they took it out they might as well delay butting version 5 out untill they put it back in.

Yeah they said it was a "Bug Fix" . To me that was a feature!

Indeed the ability to copy and paste between tabs has been disabled in Dundas BI 5 as that option exposed the users to risk of creating corrupted dashboards where objects are not referenced correctly. Later when trying to export those dashboards the gains of saving with the copy paste are not worth the pain of inability to export. That being said, there is a supported method to reuse metric sets from other dashboards and that is simply by expanding the dashboards from the explore panel and dragging metric sets onto the new dashboards. This doesn't even require 2 separate tabs and works within a single tab so the option of re-using metric sets is still available in Dundas BI 5.

I just use it for boxes, titles, buttons and other non data objects, will the new way work for none data objects?

There is a multitude of issues that arise from copying between tabs. Unfortunately, the only way to fix all of these issues was to completely prevent copying between tabs.

We do have an open feature request for the ability to reuse non-data objects, and I have added James to the list of submitters.

If anyone else wants to be included in the list for this feature (both to track its progress and to raise the priority level), please like this response and I will add you.

2 Likes