Our instance is hosted on an Azure server but we use an on-site Domino Server. We are trying to connect the SMTP up, but are having multiple failures doing so. We’ve got tickets open with various partners, but I figured maybe someone’s been through this before. Here’s what I’ve found so far:
Azure apparently blocks traffic through port 25. I believe Port 443 as well.
Domino doesn’t appear to be “listening” on port 587, because I can see the traffic routed to our server on our firewall appliance, but it never routes through Domino.
I have gone into the Configuration on the Domino Server & set the ports to 587, but that doesn’t seem to have changed anything.
Any tips and/or thoughts would be helpful. Thx.