Showing 'all' in a data label

I am using a data label as a header to show the name of a program, which is a parameter with connected filter in the dashboard. When they change the selected program, the name displayed in the data label should change. However, if they select ‘all’ it still shows whatever program is first in the data label. How can I get it to show ‘all’?

(ETA: I may have found an alternative in this case, but I’ve run into this before so still interested in how I can work around it!)

Hi Lindsey,

The reason you are not seeing ‘All’ as the header is because it is not one of the data labels in the view parameter. You can confirm this by selecting the data label and clicking on the Data Preview tab.

An alternative could be that you create a separate label with label text as ‘All’ and use a script to hide it if anything else in the filter is selected and just show the data label that displays the selection, and vice versa when ‘All’ is selected on the filter. You can add the script to ‘Parameter Value Changed’ field.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Right, I would like it to be so that when all the values in the parameter are selected in the filter, all shows in the data label just as it does in the filter without scripting. Would this be more appropriate as a feature request?

Hi Lindsey,

We have raised this as a feature request. The issue number is 91112.

1 Like

Would love more information on what script would achieve this!

Hi Lindsey,

Sorry I didn’t respond to this earlier, and I missed that feature request notification. If you place a dimension on Rows, it means you’re getting a row for each of its values, and this is relied on (at least for one row) for whenever you want to show any dimension’s value in a data label. If you essentially want to display the dimension’s filter value instead, you can move this to Slicers because filtering is all that slicers are for, then ensure it’s still assigned under Text in the Visualization tab image

If this is the only data you want in this data label, a slicer by itself is still not requesting any actual data so a “no data” indicator will appear by default, but you can disable it for view mode by checking the Disable No Data Indicator property. When the dashboard is opened directly in view mode it would display the filter value like above (the no data message still appears when opening into edit mode).