Search and tracking records

Hi,

I’m trying to find the best approach to some development and wondered if I could get some guidance. We’d like to develop a dashboard that would allow a user to search for an individual record. This I was able to accomplish using string filter - yay! However, we want to be able to track what records are being pulled, for auditing purposes (some records pulled back could be employees and we need to know who looked at what so we can follow-up). I was thinking perhaps this can be accomplished via data input, but I am not sure if that is the best approach. Additionally, I know there are usage logs, so maybe I can keep my filter and use the dundas tables for auditing?

Any ideas are appreciated!

The current built in usage tracking logs will provide you information on what dashboards the users looked at and how long they viewed those dashboards. It will also tell you when that occurred. It will not track the specific records they pulled so indeed your solution will need to include some form of a write back to collect that data and then be able to report on it. Here you have 2 main options:

1. Use the built in data input.

2. Create your own data structure to store data and write back to it using manual queries or stored procedures.

With the data input, the setup will probably be slightly easier and there will be no need to involve any DBA to create new database structures for you as Dundas BI will handle all of that for you. That said, you will have less control over the stored data and it will mostly be useful for reporting on it in Dundas BI vs in any other application. I have seen examples of customers creating forms in Dundas BI and collecting the data back using the data input so I think it can suit your purpose but please note that data input stored data can also be easily deleted if you modify your data input data cube so if you need that data for regulation purposes (vs. just audits for improvements) you should probably have a backup of the data in another location as well.

This is so helpful! Thank you!