Read data cube metadata from Dundas DB

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if it possible to easily read metadata of data cubes from Dundas database?
The idea is to create a dashboard that can be used as a “data dictionary” so that the users can easily view the metadata of every cube - and then we can put nice business friendly descriptions in the description field of every attribute (hierarchies and measures). In this way we can have a self-documented data dictionary that is always up to date.
We have 2000+ fields in our database so to do this manually is not an option.

I have looked around in the application database but I do not see an easy way of reading this information.

Any tips/help is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Hey Ole,

If you’re looking to read metadata from a Data Cube, you can take advantage of the Data Cube Service, particularly the GET Method (DataCube/{id}). With the Data Cube you get back, you’ll be able to look at the Measures, Hierarchies and Metadata properties.

To get multiple Data Cubes, you can take advantage of the File System Service, particularly the Query Method(File/Query) to get all the Data Cubes within folders and projects. Couple that with the GET Method mentioned above, you’ll be able to loop through the files and get the Data Cube and read the metadata.

Let me know if this helps!

Thanks Mark! I will have a look :slight_smile: