No matching maps found??

I am have trouble trying to get a simple map to show up. My data really limited and only for my country/state, both of which are a part of my data. It’s not finding the country or state so I’m thinking that is my primary problem. I’ve tried using various permutations of USA, U.S.A., United States, etc.

I’ve watched the video here https://www.dundas.com/support/learning/videos-tutorials/data-visualizations/introduction-to-maps and I’m still not having any luck.

Anyone have any ideas on what to do next?

Using Dundas Version: 4.0.2.1008

First, make sure you are using the correct map resources. If you are using the shape files that come with Dundas BI, make sure you are using the correct granularity level. For example, if you are interested in the state and the cities of Alaska, use the shape files United States of America (States and Provinces) and Cities in United States of America (Alaska). You can use multiple Shape files, so drag all those you need.

The states will be added as shapes, while the cities as symbols.

Go to the Main properties and click Shapes or Symbol, and then locate the element you are interested in. For example, go to Shapes and click Alaska.

In the properties for the specific element, you can see the Shape Name and Alternate Shape Name. These are using to connect to your data. If your data doesn't match any of these names, use the Shape Compatible Name to add the relevant name/s from your data.

You can find further information about using a map in our documentation.

Thanks for this tip. That is getting me closer, but I’m still not fully understanding how to make this work.

I don’t seem to have the “Show Street Maps” checkbox.

Alaska shows up now, but none of my filters work and all are connected to the visualization. I would think that I could select and de-select values to have them show/hide.

My map is tiny. I don’t seem to have a way to zoom even when I’m in Sandbox mode.

I figured out how to add a ZOOMING panel, but now my data dots are not matching my expectations and I still cannot filter.

As the map below shows our service area is only located in the interior of alaska and as such we should only have dots in the area.

Joyce,

Version 5 has the show street maps.

Also,

You should have an Option called "Default Viewport Center" This lets you set the zoom and panning to just show Alaska. I have had to do this for my Map that has CONUS, Alaska and Hawaii.

A little tip that I have noticed is that if you try to Sandbox View it before it saves then it does not show the changes. Some times you have to let it save and cause a complete reload of the page. When you go back to edit the maps still where you had it before the changes (just wait for a save and go out of the dashboard then come back).

Your map is tiny becuase you are choosing to show only the requested maps and not the rest of the world. Switch to View mode, and you will be able to zoom and pane it, then switch back to Edit and it should stay as you set it. There is no actual need for the zooming panel in this case.

You have added the Alaska cities resource, so it is showing all of the cities in Alaska. My previous example was likely confusing in this regard. Since your data is based on coordinates, you don't actually need the city resource and can remove it. Here is a (shorter) article regarding Displaying symbols on a map, which should be closer to your use case than the one I provided yesterday.

Thanks for the tip on the “show street maps.” Someday I’ll find time to upgrade.

The second I turn off the “show Only Requested Maps” I get the “no matching maps found” and I get is just in regular edit mode, before I even get to the Sandbox view. It stays like that even after letting it sit while I run to get coffee.

I feel like I’m just trying options without any idea how to achieve what I want.

I’m not seeing my Lat/Long on my map, nor am I seeing either the servicetype or a premiseID marker. It also appears I cannot zoom in to the level of detail that I’m trying to get (these are locations within a city and I’m not even getting city-level details).

Is what I’m trying to do just not possible? Apparently my user was using Tableau to do the same type of thing so I’m surprised I’m having such difficulty.

Going in detail on every property of how to use maps and the extent they can be used would make a great webinar.

Image title

That is strange, turning that off should show more maps or atleast that my understanding and how it worked for my map (I have only done one so far, but i dug in deep to all the settings and playied around in it for a week).

markers do not always appear on the map by themselves, you have to indicate which data to use for what. On the Data Analysis Panel, switch to the Visualization tab. You will find the longitude and lattitude fields unter the Symbols expender (as explained in the article I provided in the previous comment).