Move a dashboard/cube/... in their hierarchy

I happily developed a set of data cube, metric set and dashboard, which I would want to move to a new directory in the file explorer.

I can easily copy/duplicate all resources (just move with the mouse, from the new/open or file explorer views), but I could not find a place or a way to just move a resource to a new directory.

Technically I can easily duplicate the cube (and delete the original one) because replacing a cube in a metric set is easy, and the same is true for the dashboard because nothing points to it. The metric set is my biggest issue here.

I can’t believe this is not possible, what am I missing?

Thanks

Hi @guillaume,

You should be able to move content by cutting and pasting into the new folder location and it won’t break your dependencies. Here is a summary of the different methods available.

Copy and Paste : Copies to new location in the same project and doesn’t break dependencies.
Cut and Paste : Moves to new locations in the same project and doesn’t break dependencies.
Publish (with referenced items) : Copies content to a new project and creates a copy of all dependencies in the new location.
Publish (without referenced items) : Copies the selected content to a new project leaving the dependencies in the original project, referencing them from there.
Duplicate Project : Copies all content and dependencies to a new location.

HI,

I sort of ran into this issue. Basically, while trying to collaborate with another team member on a recent project we ran into several issues by trying to work on the same dashboards (one dashboard with several views/slides), so long story short, we decided to publish from our individual ‘My Project’ projects into GLOBAL. Now, I’d like to do the following as painlessly as possible: basically PUBLISH everything for this project we did (so final dashboard + all dependencies which include metric sets, scorecards, and DW Cube which are all stored in GLOBAL project. Spend some time trying to do this and I ran into an issue where I can COPY/PASTE of all of of the dashboard and its components from GLOBAL project back into ‘MY PROJECT’, however, when you click on dashboard in ‘My Project’ or. a Scorecard that is a part of that dashboard or a metric set it says for all of these projects that they still pointt to DW cube in GLOBAL project. What I am trying to do is once I publish my dashboard from GLOBA project back into ‘MY PROJECT’ I’d like for dashboard with its elements (connectors, cubes, metric sets, scorecards, etc.) to point to ‘MY PROJECT’ so it looks like this was all built from scratch in ‘MY PROJECT’. Seems this may not. be possible :frowning: ? It is great that I can publish always from ‘MY PROJECT’ to anywhere where once published dashboard and all of its elements will show as pointing to the project where it was published, but this does not happen when copied/pasted into ‘My Project’? Again, this is something I ran into first time while trying to collaborate but I can see this coming up again down the road…

Hope you may have some info for us in regards to this matter.

Thank you.

1 Like

Hello @semir.taletovic,

This is a very tricky situation from my point of view. From my knowledge, these operations publish(with or without references, copy, cut and paste) are challenging from time to time.
I’ve experienced a similar problem in the past and the issue was related with a picture used on the dashboard side. When we published the project, we didn’t published the pictures folder. In our case, we didn’t check the publish options: https://www.dundas.com/support/learning/documentation/share-collaborate/working-with-projects

I do not understand 100% your scenario but I can provide some guidance which helped me in order to solve this issue.
First, run all the Health checks. You can find here or into the Logs tab your error and which is the object/element which is causing this problem.
In the second step, you can create map for the references, including the recursive references. After this phase, you should create an empty/clean project and publish the elements, one by one, keeping always an eye on the logs tab. After each publish operation, you can create a new map for the recursive references based on the new “clean” project.
Furthermore, you can try to export the project. After the export, you will receive some warnings/errors related with the references of the dashboards, metric sets, etc.

Hope this helps you!

1 Like