Keeping hierarchies drilled down

I am making a dashboard from an OLAP datasource and I am trying to default some charts and tables to always open up to an expanded hierarchy. Is there a way to keep hierarchies and charts drilled down to show different levels by default or is it just me? It seems like whenever I change a layer and come back to the one with the expanded hierarchy, that my hierarchy collapses.

Thanks!

Hi @ryan,

You can use the check in/out to solve the issue of having your drill downs persist.

1. Open the dashboard in View mode (not sandbox view)
  2. Drill down and change level to get to the default experience you want for your users.
  3. Go back to edit mode
  4. Check In your dashboard and share it with your users.

Any users who open your dashboard will see it in the state that you last checked it in as, keeping your drill down.

Jeff,

Thank you for your response. This is what I have been doing. It resets and drills back up once I change a layer. Is there a way to prevent it from doing so when changing layers?

Ryan

Wow - checking it in actually collapses my date time dimension.

Anybody have a quick fix for me?
Couldn’t I use JS API to drill down when the layer is changed?

Ryan

Go into the metric set designer and and change the default level to what you want and try again. if it still does not behave call support.

@james.davis !! THANK YOU!

Hi Ryan,

If the checked in version is set to a specific state and it’s not staying that way, my guess is that there is a script or something running to restore the state. If you’re seeing something different it’s definitely worth opening a support ticket like @james.davis suggested.

Hi, did anyone find a solution to this? I’m having the same issue with the table expanding when checked in?

Pre check in

Post check in

Hey Shane. As @james.davis mentioned above, you’ll want to modify the row hierarchy in question through the data analysis panel on the metric set and then reset its Level setting to level you wish to have the chart initially drill down to.

That’s the thing, I’ve selected the level I would like displayed? Do I need to link this field to a hierarchy to get this to work?

Ah. I was under the assumption you were using a single multi-level hierarchy. You would indeed need to create a multi-level user hierarchy, and then promote the child element of the hierarchy in your data cube to the newly created hierarchy.

https://www.dundas.com/support/learning/documentation/analyze-data/how-to/how-to-create-a-custom-user-hierarchy
https://www.dundas.com/support/learning/documentation/cleanse-consolidate-modify-data/transforms/output/process-result

I see, thanks Christian. I’ll give it a try! :slight_smile: