Interact with text on dashboards

Does anyone know of a way to allow users to interact (copy/paste) with text on dashboards? I found this post, which has a workaround, but I’m looking for a way to allow my users to copy some of the text contained in a data label without copying the entire block.

Thanks in advance!

Update: I was trying specifically to select parts of labels and data labels, which I still haven’t found a great solution for. However, I was able to replace several of those with small tables which proved an effective workaround.

@jeff @upasana @Denil - any thoughts on this? It’s become a pretty significant challenge for us, since users need to copy text entries often that are hard to re-type. Thanks!

Why not use the JavaScript clipboard API and add a little ‘copy to clipboard’ icon to the content where you want this? This way you can be precise about the behaviour you want and it’s easy for the user.

How to:

I’d recommend using this icon (royalty free)

Yea, that’s a good one. Similar to what we’re doing now. The problem is that if there are 8 rows in the table, we have to create 8 of these and then they start to physically overlap on the dash. So it may not be sustainable. Is it just not possible to select the text with the cursor?

I believe you can directly select text from the table, I seem to remember doing it years ago, but I generally never liked how ‘drag selection’ works in these types of controls in the browser. It always feels like it doesn’t highlight what I want when I try this on websites in general.

Just testing…

The data grid does allow a section with CTRL+C, and the copy works.

I think there isn’t a ‘right answer’ for this, and it will come down to what you want the user to experience based on the need to copy content. If you want a quick single-row copy, you might add a column to the table full of small copy buttons… many options

2 Likes