Individual Month-Only Date Filter

Hello,

I have some scores calculated for a rolling year’s data for each month. I would like to give the option to filter the data, but because each month already has a year of data, the user would need to be able to pick only one month at a time. I tried changing from a calendar range to a single date filter, but this still would allow users to pick individual days, which is confusing since the data is the same each day within the month. How can I create a month-level-only filter?

Hi,

Applying a time dimension with just one level ‘month’ to the date field and then connecting a normal value filter will make sure users only see/choose months in the filter. If you have more than one level in time dimension, they turn up in the date hierarchy filters - in that case you can set Last Visible Level/Last Selectable Level from filter properties. Also, I am not sure why the values are not aggregated month wise since you mentioned each day for a month has the same value.

Thank you, I’ll try creating a copy of the date field so I can use a different time dimension!

To answer your question, I cannot let users pick individual days since other data is not the same for each day (I have the full data at the account level joined to scores grouped by payer and month, so excluding some days would exclude some accounts, which would change which payers show up, or using the field that just has the first of the month for each account (which is what is used to create the scores and would be the only date present if I split the cubes and did not join the data back to the accounts) would result in no data returned for any other day chosen).

Unfortunately, I still was not able to get a single month filter. Using the single date filter with a time dimension with only months and years applied to the connected hierarchy, it still allows the user to select individual days.

However, I think creating a text date field could work, if it’s possible to sort it in chronological order?

Did you try the ‘last/first’ selectable/visible level settings on the single date filter?

Gives me

1 Like

That would be amazing. How do you get that options menu? All I’m seeing is this:

I did find that those options were available using a Calendar filter rather than a Single Date filter, but that filter doesn’t seem to actually connect to the data. Whether I connect it to a parameter with the original full dates, or to one using a year-month time dimension, it doesn’t filter the data. In the former case if I try to change the month, it says “Data Default”, and in the latter case if I choose a different month it says “(none)”, but in both cases the data is unchanged (whereas changing the parameter manually works).

@david.glickman Thank you for this suggestion as I was unaware. It is working great for my use case.