How to use non-visible URL to navigate based on filtered value

I am looking to replicate this dashboard from Tableau where the video below the Top 5 Strengths shows a welcome by default but changes to a 60-Second Strengths video that matches the selected strength when the user clicks on one of the strengths above:

We have the embed URLs in the data, and I’ve looked through Navigate to URL | Interactions | Create & View Content | Documentation | Learning (dundas.com), but if I’m understanding correctly, there’s no way to do this without showing part or all of the URL being navigated to. How can I do this without showing the ugly Youtube video IDs?

Hi Lindsey,
Maybe you can use another approach by using groups that you show/hide thru script on the Click event. The only tricky thing is that your group should contain at least two members.

1 Like

Hi Lindsey,

You don’t need the URL showing in your dashboard in order to setup some sort of click navigation action to the URL. I have the link hidden and can still navigate to the URL when clicking on any bound visual.

1 Like

Hi, my understanding was that worked fine for buttons, menus, etc., but not for having the URL as part of a metric set so depending what value they clicked in the chart, it would navigate to the filtered value. In this case they choose an Associate (it defaults to the user), it brings up that Associate’s top 5 strengths which are different for each Associate, and then they could click on a strength bar in the bar chart to navigate to the URL for that strength. From the support link I posted above, I think I would have to use the " “Use Filter Value Caption” option which required all or part of the URL as text in a table. Am I missing something?

One thing I can think of would perhaps be to have a second indermediary metric se which is housed off the canvas of the dashboard, and this metric set would have the associate and strengths as well as the Youtube URLs.

At that point, my thought was to create a filter interaction when you click on the original table to filter the associate and specific strength on the off-canvas metric set. Then you would create a script on the Data Changed event of the 2nd metric set. That way, when that 2nd metric set is filtered down to contain just one URL, you can have your script pass the URL into an HTML label or just open a tab to navigate to the URL (depending on how you choose to go about this).

Just an idea I had.

2 Likes

Thank you, I will try that when we publish V2 (we had to go ahead with an initial version in the meantime, sorry I never replied!)