How-to Add Button to Reset Filters to Default (Video Tip)

Sometimes you will have many filters on a dashboard, and you might want to give your users a way to reset them. Resetting a dashboard will allow your users to revert it back to its initial view state. This video will show you an easy way to add a reset button to your content without writing code in Dundas BI.

If you’d like to learn more, I’d recommend you go to my learning channel - Off the Charts (with Jeff).
https://www.dundas.com/resources/off-the-charts-tips-from-an-expert

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip, Jeff! How does this work with personalization? I was of the understanding that if a user set a filter and came back to the same dashboard, their personalization settings would keep their previous filters. Will this just override that? (Or am I misunderstanding personalization?)

1 Like

@RachelTobin I agree with you, but it depends on if you’ve got personalisation enabled for that user I think

2 Likes

Yup - I think you’re right @RachelTobin/@david.glickman something like this is probably mutually exclusive with personalization.

Side question - Do you guys like personalization? I’m not a big fan of the feature as it can be just as annoying to go and undo something that I was testing on a dashboard as it is to set it. If users have a specific way to view the dashboard, why not just bookmark it in the state? This way, random changes I make are not saved causing me to worry about undoing them later! If it were up to me, I’d disable personalization in most cases.

1 Like

100% agree with you.
We always disable personalisation for our users. It also means that when troubleshooting we know exactly what they’re seeing.

2 Likes

If users have a specific way to view the dashboard, why not just bookmark it in the state?

We have our dashboards embedded onto another site with different URLs. Ideas on how we’d make bookmarking work for them there? We were thinking personalization might be a good solution as the manager could then select their team and always see their team.

1 Like

There are a few things you might try.

1. Create custom tokens to set up common presets.
  2. Use the Share -> Link functionality. When they open it, It will not be embedded but it will easily give your users exactly what they want and can be saved in the bookmarks for the browser.
  3. Modify your application to accept URLs so that it’s possible to do #2 while still living in your embedded environment. Basically, create a ‘Link’ button on the dashboard that will generate an appropriate shortlink in Dundas BI and modify it via script so that your embedded application can use it. Something like https://myulr&dashboard=myshortlink
  4. Use Data Input to create a bookmark system within the dashboard. Something like this is a little bit involved but it’s certainly possible. Professional Services can help if it’s really important to you.
  5. File a feature request with our support team for another alternative.
  6. Tell your users that their requests are not important to you. This is a great option as it really helps establish your dominance.
1 Like

Those are some great ideas – we’ll have to play around with what works best for us.

1. Modify your application to accept URLs so that it’s possible to do #2 while still living in your embedded environment. Basically, create a ‘Link’ button on the dashboard that will generate an appropriate shortlink in Dundas BI and modify it via script so that your embedded application can use it. Something like https://myulr&dashboard=myshortlink

Can you explain this one a little more? We’re at the development stages of our website, and can create it however will work best. This sounds like an interesting solution.

@RachelTobin, While I’m saddened that #6 didn’t make your consideration, I understand.

I’m basically just suggesting that your team needs to rig that application to accept a query string parameter. The reason for this is so that you can externally generate a link that will modify the hosted content within the embedded application. I imagine that your application has an iframe and you’ll want to set its content based on what the user wants to see from the bookmark. This is why I was saying the URL would look something like this:

https://myurl&dashboard=myshortlink

The ‘myshortlink’ is the content that Dundas BI should display when opened. When you use Share -> Link it will generate what we call a shortlink which encodes the current view as well as the parameter information. Passing this into your embedded app will tell your application what it needs to display in the iframe.

Now all you need to do is generate the link that I mentioned above. You would do this by first using the Dundas BI API to generate the shortlink and then simply append it to your URL. Provide this information to your user to bookmark in their browser.

When they use the link they bookmarked, catch the information on your hosted application from the query string and display it.

hope this helps

1 Like

HI Jeff,

I had a question about this - came up recently as a request from the end users and in a conversation with Dundas support today. Our users do not want to reselect their default location and other parameters (after say the first time they view the dashboard) - we have under Account Services (Administration panel in Dundas) setting ‘Store View Personalization’ set to ‘Allow (inherited)’ and per Dundas support and what I have read here so far that should save end user’s parameter selections from the LAST time they viewed the dashboard but it did NOT work for me or couple other users that I had test it. Would love this to work out of box rather than create ‘custom tokens’ if that was one of the options. What worked here but is a bit cumbersome and was wondering if there is an easier solution was clicking on SHARE button and selecting LINK, then copying/pasting the link into another tab and bookmarking it (have to make sure here that I bookmark the URL that has shortLink in it, something like this: https://dundas.ensignservices.net/Link/?shortLink=yut9i7wj3pkwxc84zqn6syu6to versus the dashboard URL:https://dundas.ensignservices.net/Dashboard/d7560b67-56c1-4db8-9253-a4d2235ba8f9?e=true&vo=none). My original thought to to this (save each user’s default parameter selections) by looking up their default location in Active Directory and using JavaScript scripting to come up with something but then as mentioned above saw that ‘Store View Personalization’ setting but I am unable to make it work as it should work if I understood it correctly.

Thank you.

1 Like

Sounds like a feature request might be to add “save view” functionality :wink: I’m glad we’re not the only ones that would need it!

Our users currently save multiple views and will flip between them – so we have a 'default view" that everyone gets to begin with, and then they can set specific filters how they want them, name the “view” with those filters, and then choose to set that as their new default or not. When they want to change it, they see a list of all the saved views they have or that others have shared, and switch between them as they so choose. When they close out and come back, it’ll open to their set default view.

I think we’ve gone way off the original topic, but anyway…

If I had to implement @RachelTobin’s request now, I would setup the following.

User sets up how they want and then click a button. The script would get the shortlink of the dashboard, and then write back to a cube using the data input, including the shortlink, a name, and the user id.

Then you could use that cube to power a dropdown filter that would navigate to the url of the selected shortlink.

Something along those lines should theoretically work. (Edit: I now see that @jeff has basically suggested this earlier in the thread so it should definitely work!)

1 Like

It definitely works!
We do exactly this in many projects

Hi @semir.taletovic,

If you’re testing and it’s not working, it might be that you are testing with a Developer user. I know for certain that this functionality is disabled for Developers as this would be very annoying while you are build content. Are the others Developers? I’m not sure off the top of my head if the same is true with Power Users but it might be the case.

If it’s failing with Standard Users, I’d definitely recommend talking to support.

2 Likes

Thanks Jeff, you are a life saver :)…yes, I have a developer seat and am sys admin in Dundas. I may either try have a Standard User try or make myself a Standard User temporarily and see if it works.

Thank you.

Oh, awesome. I fell for the same thing in the past so I had a feeling this would be the case.
cheers

1 Like

Thanks for the Tip, Jeff

1 Like