How do you deal with Analysis Paralysis?

I’m told that it is common for Business Analysts to have experienced analysis paralysis at least once in their careers. One of the reasons being our human need to prove ourselves right - looking for more and more information to support our (or our boss’) original theory even when our research shows something else.

What can one do to get out of it?

I would say choose one and then when you experience a blocker or unexpected result be prepared to pivot right away to any backup plan you have

1 Like

I think the best way to avoid analysis paralysis is to approach data without an “answer” in mind, or alternatively, find ways to prove yourself WRONG instead of right. You also have to be okay with “good enough” – if you have analyzed to the point of being 95% certain, is it REALLY going to help you to be 100%? Are you going to make drastically different decisions based on increased confidence? Knowing what level of confidence is needed – and what your risk is if you’re “wrong” – helps avoid that analysis paralysis.

Or, just be so busy that you don’t have time for analysis paralysis :wink:

1 Like

Another way is to have a plan A, and if it doesn’t work a plan B, and if it doesn’t work too, a Plan C, as Ritchie and Kernighan did :innocent:

Good question. I happen to have studied and applied motivation theory in my doctoral work at Virginia Tech.

First, a related topic - procrastination. Mastering procrastination is all about understanding where you lack confidence on the task(s) at hand. You repeatedly ask “what part of this is ‘scaring’ me?” and work through the details of the task(s). Eventually, you find one or more parts make you hesitant, and you can address them.

As an engineer (my first career), I’m also a heavy analyst though, too. So, I’ve been through analysis paralysis more times than I can count. But, in recent years, I’ve learned to apply the procrastination tactics in these cases and it seems to work well. I still think there’s one or two unique elements to paralysis vs procrastination, and I’ll figure it out, but for now it’s working super well.

1 Like

I like to let myself go down the rabbit hole once in a while. If a question comes up because of something I find, I like to dig in further. I also like to look at random facts and statistics. Knowing fun statistics reminds me of why I enjoy doing analysis in the first place!

1 Like

I would say we need to prioritize our decisions. Treating all decisions as if they had the same impact on your work can lead to analysis paralysis.

1 Like