Help with stacked bar chart and time hierarchy.

Hi all,

I’m painfully new to working with Dundas BI, and I’ve run into a problem working with a time hierarchy in a stacked bar chart. I’m trying to set the bars based on year, but then further subdivide them with their respective three-month quarters (bars are still the same year-based height, but are made up of the quarters). I’ve tried every combination of data configuration I can think of but with no luck. I know how to display bars per year and per quarter, but not a combination of the two. Indeed, the samples I’ve been able to find online for stacked bar charts seem to show them using a separate dimension from what was used to initially create the bars–nothing (that I’ve been able to find) that shows how to do it with two different dimension levels within the same time hierarchy.

Am I just being dense here, or is this indeed a limitation of the software? I’m hoping it’s the former, and I’d very much appreciate any guidance that anyone would care to offer.

Thank you!

Ben Clark, City of Kalamazoo

Hey Ben,

Good question! You can use the series grouping slot on the visualization tab. First, display your bars as years. Then, click the visualization button at the top of the Data Analysis Panel. Now expand the menu and click the series grouping slot. You should be able to select the quarter in the menu that pops up there.
15%20AM

01%20AM

2 Likes

Thanks a bunch, Christopher! That’s precisely what I was looking to do. I had been playing around with the grouping function before but there’s obviously something I wasn’t doing right, because your instructions worked perfectly. Thanks again!

1 Like