Google SMTP settings?

Hi Cube,
As a proof-of-concept, I’m trying to use my (personal) gmail account for sending email from Dundas. I believe I’ve made the appropriate Dundas configuration changes (using this: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7126229?hl=en), and I’ve set the Google account to allow “untrusted” apps to connect to my account (as I said, proof-of-concept).

However, when I try to send a test email, I get an error message in Dundas: “Unable to read data form the transport connection: The connection was closed.” My hunch is this isn’t a firewall issue, since I can get google-specific error messages if put an incorrect password, for example.

Has anyone successfully sent email from Dundas via Google’s standard SMTP servers?

Thanks!

@ryan.2
Hey Ryan, If you search the error on the internet “Unable to read data form the transport connection: The connection was closed” , this is clearly an error from gmail side not Dundas BI. Common causes based on internet discussions include overusage of the limit and port issue. I dont recall anyone mentioning testing with gmail smtp before.
Regards,
Jay

That was my first instinct as well, except that I setup my desktop email client following Google’s instructions, and had no issues sending email through port 465 (SSL) or 587 (STARTTLS).

When I use those settings in Dundas, port 587 returns the error message “The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated” regardless of the SMTP Enable SSL setting, and port 465 gives the “Unable to read data…” message. (Which, to my understanding, simply means the server and the client disagree about how to communicate with each other.)

I have no idea is this is pertinent, but this .NET documentation makes me wonder if a STARTTLS option is appropriate in addition to SSL.

@ryan.2 Hi Ryan, in DBI config there is a checkbox for enable SSL, did you make sure it’s checked?

https://www.dundas.com/support/learning/documentation/administration/view-or-modify-configuration-settings#h3-4-email-settings

Otherwise, since you are only testing SMTP, you might just try with a different SMTP provider.

Thanks for following up. Yes, I’ve tried it both checked and unchecked. I’m trying to prove we can use Google.