Dundas Champion Of The Month - February '22

Originally from Lincoln, Nebraska, USA, our Dundas Champion of this month is a husband, father, son and brother. Before shifting careers to working in BI, he obtained a Master’s degree in social work. He later on obtained a Bachelor’s degree in Management Information Systems and Business Analytics. @derek.sell confesses to be a bit of an overthinker but he’s also someone who likes to listen twice as much as he speaks. Here’s getting to know him some more:

@tejas.shah (T): Tell us a little about what you do at Communicare Health Centers?
@derek.sell (D): CommuniCare has multiple community health centers offering Medical, Dental, Behavioral Health, and other Specialty clinic services located in and around San Antonio, Texas. I work on the Business Intelligence team using Dundas to create Dashboards and tools that improve performance and efficiency at CommuniCare.

(T): What is your typical workday like?
(D): Spend a lot of time meeting with dashboard stakeholders to understand project needs, writing SQL queries, doing some quick Q/A in the electronic medical record before bringing that information into Dundas BI for dashboard building purposes.

(T): What advice would you give to your 18 years old self?
(D): Be open to new experiences. If you practice your Spanish daily, you will get better it just takes a lot of time and practice. Don’t multi-task, it hinders your performance.

(T): Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
(D): I’ll have learned more than I know now and feel like I know less than I know now. I want to buy a house, know a new country, and get a side job as a soccer referee. I want to spend time giving back to refugees who are being resettled in San Antonio, Texas. I’ll be a proud father and supporting husband.

(T): Any hobbies or passions you would like to share with The Dundas Community?
(D): I love spending time with my wife and newborn daughter. I like to travel. When I was 18 years old, I went to Mendoza, Argentina on a gap year volunteer program and ever since then I’ve had the urge to experience new places and things. I like to play golf, and soccer. Before moving to Texas, we lived in Colorado and really enjoyed hiking and camping in the mountains. I love coffee from my Chemex and drinking Yerba Mate. Finally, I’m a fan of Arsenal a soccer team in the English Premier League.

(T): Finally, what’s your favorite feature in Dundas BI?
(D): I love how easy it is to setup different interactions and how flexible Dundas BI is.

4 Likes

Congratulations Derek! Thanks for your contribution to the community!

1 Like

Congratulations Derek! About the knowledge feeling, I would have said that the more you know, the more you understand that you’ll never get the full picture.

2 Likes

Congrats to you on this achievement!

1 Like

Nice to meet you Derek! Thanks for your contributions here

Great to see English PL interest in the US (wrong team though :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Congrats @derek.sell!

All the Gooners I know are great people so I’m sure you are too

2 Likes

Congratulations, Derek!

1 Like

Very true Olivier! I always appreciate your insights.

1 Like

Thank you, I have a history of picking the wrong team :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s very generous of you @david.glickman I learn so much from you on here.

1 Like

Congratulations Derek! Well done!

1 Like

Hola Derek,
Congratulation, well done!. You can practice Spanish with me!!

Saludos,
Jorge

1 Like

Congrats Derek! Good luck on the Spanish, maybe in 5 years you will be living somewhere they speak Spanish!

1 Like

Thanks Melissa!

You never know, my wife is from Mexico :grinning:

Hi Derek! I read your profile and at times it sounded as though I was also reading about myself. Soccer fan, former clinician working in Health IT & Analytics, and coffee lover (former daily pour over convert to Moccamaster for convenience - highly recommend Onyx Coffee Lab for beans if you haven’t had a chance to try yet). Would love to hear about your experience implementing Dundas within the healthcare space and how users have adopted, etc.

Congratulations!!! Derek.

Nice job Bro. Way to go!!!