Dundas BI 4 instance unable to connect to SQL Server suddenly

Hi,

I'm having a problem with our Dundas BI 4 instance this morning. I'm not aware of anything having changed overnight, but this morning, when accessing the instance from the server it's running on, I get this error:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)".

Normally, I would suspect this was down to the SQL database being inaccessible (as the message suggests), but other software on the same server can access the database server without issues, and I can manually connect to the Dundas BI 4 database with SSMS and run queries with no problems. Is there anything you could suggest I try? Everything I've thought of has checked out ok. There's no unusual load on either the web or database servers. There's no disk space issue on either server either. The database itself is available and queries against it work fine. Other web applications on the same web server can access other databases on the same database server, so it's not a connectivity issue.

Any ideas? I'd check the connection string that Dundas BI is using to connect to the application database, but I don't know where to find it, or why anyone would have changed it for that matter.

Just to update anyone else interested in this:

Adam brought this issue with Dundas Support as well, but managed to resolve it himself. For some reason, the port number was missing from the connection string.

You can check the connection string using the dt.exe tool.

I will update here if I find more relevant details.