Data Driven Notification

I want to be able to send out a notification when there is new data.

This is on the dashoard that has our labor utilization and the data does not always get in the Db on the same day, So I want to have a notice be sent out when a new set of time card data has been entered.

Time line example:

we submit our time cards then Finance does it thing and once all that is done and finalized those hours get but in a table I am querying (but not always on the day of the week). Need a notification that can pick up on the fact that there is more data than before and then send email.

I did not see in the data driven selection anything for new data.

Has any one ever made a notification for this senerio?

Is is possible or will this need to become a feature request?

I've done what I think is a work around to this type of issue by adding a count and once the count is above 0 the notification gets sent.

I get the concept of making a count and setting the noticification data driven condition to increases.

The only way I can thin of to actualy make this happen is to do another data cube that just does a count of rows the query returns and then put that on the dashboard.

This is not want I am looking for but might have to do if my only option.

I wonder if I hide the count visualization if it still would be selectable by the data driven event. the only othert problem is teaching the people that use this on how to set up the notification on an element they can not see (grabs some head ache medicine).

I think I am just going to teach them how to put a notification on and use the increase decrease data driven way. They really need a notice if the number have gone down.

You can definitely select cells that are not visible on the dashboard, as long as they are present. The only thing I would watch out for is the refresh of the data when the visualization/column is hidden, which is required to trigger the notification.

You can also add the count to your existing data cube and include it in one of the metric sets on the dashboard, just don't visualize it.

I have actually not look into how Notification work yet, But I am right now setting some up on a test user that has my email.

I have some states in these Metric Sets so I am trying the In State Category (and all the other Categories) to see what will send an email out like how I want and also to see what would be the best one to really alert the user that their numbers are going down.

I just see how it all works right now.

The simplest thing I want a notification on is that another weeks of data is there to review and I think that the "In State(s)" and putting all states will do the trick without having to add a hidden count somewhere and teach them how to put a Notification on that (I am still learning how to make Notification myself).

I will let you all know how it works out.

I’ve got a few notification that are data-driven; however I’ve set them all up for our users. They can do the simple/scheduled notifications, but it seems to work best for us for a developer/programmer to do the data driven ones.

Some have counts shown as a separate data label (copy/paste an existing metric set) and I’ve experimented with either a manual SQL count, using the built-in count that you can add as a metric and just hiding that column.

One thing I’ve encountered and reported to support is that in my version and previous (Version: 4.0.2.1008) that I get an “extra day” of notification with an empty file (excel or pdf, seems to occur regardless of the type).

I don’t want to maintain all their notification for them.

Let me count how many that would be, I ran out of fingers and toes...

34 different department managers and some of them have deputies (that I did not shoot) and then there are the handful in the Cost Control department and the executives.

Also when there is a change in personnel I would have to update.

Or I can teach one person who will teach the department managers or tell me when she calls them all in for a meeting and there will be time to give a quick class.

1 Like