Data Connection created, However while creating Metrics Sets it says no data available.

I have created a data connection with the DB and can see all the tables and there dimensions listed in the Explore panel, however when I am creating a metrics set it shows data not available. Is this because of heavy data set? as one of the table that I am using is having more than 8 million records.

What kind of data connector are you using? More specifically - what kind of data source are you trying to connect to (SQL, SSAS, Redshift, Salesforce, etc… or something via ODBC/JDBC)?

Also, if you try to create a data cube using a table listed under one of the connectors, do you get data showing up there in the Data Preview tab or are you still getting the “No Data Available”?

I am using SQL Server Database and I tried creating data cube, but it says “No Data Available” in Data Preview.

If the data is not showing in the preview are you at least getting a waiting indicator like it’s trying to fetch data? If you try using a Data Cube, it will only try to pull the first 1000 records but depending on your setup, even generating 1k data points from your data source might be slow.

If it doesn’t seem like Dundas it’s working to fetch data - there’s likely no data coming into Dundas BI. Test your query / security. A SQL profiler might be helpful to see what is being requested. Remember the same query coming from a directly security context can yield different results depending on your setup.

Thank you for the suggestion, we have involved DBA to look into it.

Also, when ever I am creating a calculated element I am getting this msg “Data Retrieval Failed, as it was not possible to generate a valid query for the specified metric set” in data preview. Do you think Server disk space is having some role in these issues?

Your data retrieval issue is likely either related to an error in the script or more likely a null that it throwing it off due to your data issues.

1 Like

@jeff The issue with her setup was that she was referencing the objects as if they were datetimes, even though they were actually strings. We just converted them to datetimes before processing the if statement and it worked.

DateTime.ParseExact(date, "yyyy-MM-dd", CultureInfo.InvariantCulture);

1 Like