Dash users upload/import files?

Is there a way that dash users can upload/import data files? Say we would like our users to be able to select a .csv on their local machine that gets uploaded and stored somewhere for processing.

Is that possible?

Hi Ken,

You can certainly allow this, but your users would have to be Power Users for the application to let them upload/work with data.

If they are Power Users, you could let these users into the dashboard designer, where they could drag and drop the file and then immediately start using it. Excel and CVS are very easy data sources for Power Users and wouldn’t require developer intervention.

1 Like

that’s certainly one way to do it, thanks! I don’t know much about power users but maybe this is the right time to learn.

I wonder if there’s also a way to perhaps write some js code to drop into a dash button that would enable a general user to upload a file. These aren’t necessarily to display, but to be processed in some other way, like by an external python script or such. Thinking of this more like a dropbox.

I was thinking along the same lines you were when you posted this—what if we used the API to upload the file and then handled it with another user? The problem you’ll face is that even if you circumvent the Power User to get the file uploaded, the viewer still can’t do anything with it. Just like how the application restricts Standard Users (viewers) from adding data, it also prevents them from building Metric Sets. It really is purely a viewer user from an application point of view, with some exceptions.

I guess you could implement something to allow them to upload a file, then have the API generate a dashboard for them, but this screams ‘user a Power User instead’ to me.

1 Like

Yea I understand that angle, but am thinking now that since they won’t really want to display the data they are uploading to us, that’s not necessary. Maybe a more specific example would help.

User is on a dashboard where they can select entries on a table and click a button to change the items they’ve selected. (It’s a writeback button).

That’s cool, but they need to update 200 entries. Way too many to select. So they’d like to create a csv for us with the entries they want updated. I’d like for them to be able to upload it on this same dashboard. Could I create a button called “Upload for processing” where they select a local file, and Dundas somehow “saves” that file somewhere? I don’t need a metric set or dash or anything using it. Just saved.

That could be done via the API?