Create report for existing metric sets

I’m new to making reports and can’t figure out how to manage this, but it seems like it should be possible:

I have a dashboard that can be filtered by a specific dimension. When users click the report button, we want them to be able to see all the metric sets on the dashboard for both options in the filter without having to run the report twice or create 3 copies of all our metric sets.

However, when I try to add that dimension as a group in the report and group metric sets by it, it will not break them out by the dimension. It seems that you have to recreate metric sets in the report? I’m not sure if that is even possible for me with all these metric sets (it doesn’t seem to let you edit slicers or add formulas when opening the data analysis panel of a dragged-on measure) but in any case it would be nice to not recreate something that already exists.

All the help documentation I found didn’t address using metric sets that exist already so any direction would be appreciated!

Hi Lindsey,

It shouldn’t matter whether you’re using existing metric sets or not, except that it sounds like you are probably filtering the data by a dimension added to Slicers. Although that usually makes perfect sense, metric sets used directly in a report retrieve all their data at once while typically grouped by one of the dimensions on Rows, and I don’t think there is an option to “group” by a slicer, which would really mean filtering by retrieving the data X number of times for X number of different slicer filter values. If you are able to move this dimension from Slicers to Rows, you would still be able to filter by it on your dashboards but then can also set up linking with it by clicking the link icon on the report’s grouping hierarchy/dimension: https://www.dundas.com/support/learning/documentation/create-view-content/designing-an-inventory-report#linking

Alternatively you can actually drag an entire dashboard onto your report and repeat that for each dimension value if the dashboard has a view parameter for it. There is a “Repeater Mappings” option in the Properties window to set up this view parameter in the report, and also a “Hide Parameter Controls” property if the dashboard has filters on it that should be hidden. There is a walkthrough on this here: https://www.dundas.com/support/learning/documentation/create-view-content/how-to/use-a-dashboard-in-a-scorecard

When options are grayed out in the Data Analysis Panel, it is probably also displaying the text “Displaying group data”. In this case you can either click the hyperlink above for the “Group” as a shortcut to the group’s own Data Analysis Panel, or click “Select data separately” if that visualization should have its own separate metric set, and then you can add slicers and formulas. Typically charts and tables have their own separate metric sets because each chart/table often has multiple rows/columns/data points/series, but you can have many data labels for example each displaying individual values from the same group metric set.

1 Like

Thank you, this is really helpful!

1 Like