Concurrent Users

I want to clarify some things with the Concurrent Users option.
let me explain a little about our implementation:

we use Dundas to implement several dashboards in our products via Iframe.
each dashboard is implemented in several sites, so the dashboards are connected to several tenants.
each tenant has a different data connector, I created an account for each tenant, all of the accounts except mine are Concurrent Users.

So when a user is watching the dashboards is using a floating seat.

my question is if I have 10 concurrent users on my license,
and on my tenant, I have only one account but several users( 10 users ) viewing the dashboard at the same time (there are all from the same tenant and using the same account) they are using 1 Concurrent user or they using of all my concurrent user limit?

If someone uses the same implementation on his organization, I would like to hear some of tips/advice.

**Dundas representative I would like to hear from you and respect your experience.
but please stop refer me to the documentation, it’s confusing and not relevant.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Aviv,

The concurrent license is a shared license that doesn’t depend on the number of users added to the system (regardless of tenant). If you have 10 concurrent users, you could add as many users to your tenant groups as you would like. The only time that your 10 users are going to be used is when the users log into Dundas BI.

1 active session = 1 used concurrent license usage

my question is if I have 10 concurrent users on my license,
and on my tenant, I have only one account but several users( 10 users ) viewing the dashboard at the same time (there are all from the same tenant and using the same account) they are using 1 Concurrent user or they using of all my concurrent user limit?

If you have 10 users viewing the dashboard from a single tenant using the same user - Yes, you are using up all your concurrent licenses.

If you want more info, I recently did a video on the difference between named and concurrent licenses if you want more understanding of how it work.

https://www.dundas.com/learning/how-does-licensing-work

hope this helps clarify things for you

1 Like

@aviv If you want to control the number of active logon sessions used by each tenant, you have the ability to allocate sessions to a tenant explicitly.

Normally, all sessions consume seats from your “global” pool of seats which comes from your license. However, let’s say you edit “Tenant1” and allocate them 2 “floating standard user” seats. In that case, Tenant1 would only be able to use a maximum of 2 concurrent (AKA “floating”) standard user seats, and furthermore, those seats would be reserved explicitly for Tenant1. Assuming you have 10 concurrent standard user seats, then the other 8 (still in the “global” pool, since not allocated to any tenants) would be available for use for any other account that’s not associated with Tenant1.

By default tenants don’t have any explicit allocation (empty values). But as soon as you specify an explicit seat allocation, that becomes the effective limit for that tenant.

Hope that helps.

2 Likes

@jeff Thanks for the quick response, it helped clarify some things.

@robs Thnkas, it’s very helpful to me. we are thinking to do it for specific tenants.

I want to try this and I saw on the seat allocation the options, but I didn’t understand the difference between floating standard user seats and floating standard user Elastic Seats.

for example,
If I have 10 concurrent users on my license and I want to allocate 2 of them to one tenant, what option to use? and if I inserted 2 when my usage seat reach the maximum on all other tenants and on this tenant I’m using only 1, can the seat be allocated automatically?

Thanks!

You can ignore the elastic stuff - it’s for situation where you’re taking advantage of our elastic seat functionality. This allows you to surpass the regular limits imposed by the license for a certain number of hours per calendar month. It’s basically there so that if license usage goes higher than you anticipated, we try not to prevent your users from logging on, but you should get an email letting you know this happened so that you can buy additional seats.

Therefore, allocate “Floating Standard User Seats”.

if I inserted 2 when my usage seat reach the maximum on all other tenants and on this tenant I’m using only 1, can the seat be allocated automatically?

I don’t understand this question - can you clarify?

Thanks, Rob!
I meant to ask if there is an option to allocate seats automatically when I reached my limit.
for example, I decided to allocate seats to one of my tenants, lets say I have 10 Floating seats in my license and I choose the option to allocate 2 of them to one of my tenants, but if all of my other tenants reached their maximum ( 8 floating seats) and my main tenant ( with 2 seats) didn’t reach the maximum( the usage is only 1 seat at some point of time ) - can his seat be allocated automatically for the good of all other tenants?

@robs @jeff
Other problem I encountered yesterday, in my license I have only 2 concurrent users.
I had a point of time yesterday when I had 4 sessions (= 4 concurrent users) viewing my dashboard, 3 of them was from the same tenants but the other one from another tenant - the 2 tenants are connected to a different DB inside SQL Server.
what I encountered was very strange, their session was at the same time ( i have 15 minutes session timeout) - one user saw the data of the other tenant, it was for a few minutes and then when he refreshed the page he saw his own data.
what could be the problem and how to solve it?

if you want more details about how the tenants are set up and about the implementation - tell me and I will write the details.

Thanks in advance!

can his seat be allocated automatically for the good of all other tenants?

No - if seats are allocated to a tenant, they are solely for the use of that tenant. Otherwise, allocating seats wouldn’t serve very much purpose. The idea is that your main tenant would always have 2 seats available to them, regardless of what any other tenant (or non-tenant account) is doing.

I had a point of time yesterday when I had 4 sessions

If you only have 2 available seats but are seeing 4 sessions, it could be because some of the “elastic” session time is being used.

one user saw the data of the other tenant

This should obviously never, ever happen. What version of Dundas BI are you using? I seem to remember that there was a critical defect in an older version which could cause this to happen in certain cases, but it’s been fixed for a while.

yes, all the “elastic” session time is being used.

I’m using this version 5.0.1.1013
what should I do in the meantime?

I’m using this version 5.0.1.1013
what should I do in the meantime?

That version doesn’t have any known issues which could explain what you are seeing. I suggest getting in touch with Dundas Support and they can open a ticket for this to investigate.

In the meantime, please try to figure out how to reproduce the issue - this will make it easier to figure out what’s going on.

o.k thanks… i will reach out.
p.s - to update a version it’s depends on my license? how can i update my version?

Thanks!

You can always ask your account manager for an updated license file but Dundas BI now automatically downloads your license as part of the install/upgrade.