Changing the project from which the custom attributes are matched.

Hi guys,

I've got dashboards set-up for Dundas BI for my company's clients to be able to view information that is relevant to thier own business via filtering by using custom attributes.

I run two projects: A Development project from where dashboards, cubes, hierarchies etc are crerated, modified, improved, etc and a Production project where the developed elements are published to and where the clients read from.

Unfortunately when I configure the custom attributes of client accounts to filter-down the information which is relevant to them, it only makes the fields of cubes in the development project available for selection.

Copuld someone please tell me how to change this so I can have their attributes rread from cubes in the production project instead?

Thanks in advance.

I assume you publish separate elements and not the whole project. As a first step, I suggest making sure that the option Publish Referenced Items is selected when you publish the developed element. Otherwise, the element keeps referencing the development cube and you have to re-wire the metric set.

If that is not the case, we would need some additional information about your development and publishing process. I asked our Support team to follow up with you in that case. Please let us know what the solution turns out to be.

Elia,

Might be time review the way things are published. It works ok after every thing is set up and you just need to publish a tweek one dashboard of many in a project. What about when you started that Dev prject and now you got 5 dashboards or more and you want to Publish all (you got to do it one at a time). This might be something for Version 6?

You can publish the whole project. In the Admin section, open File Explorer and right-click the project folder. You will see the Publish option in the context menu.

If you hav a convincing use case for something between a publishing a single element and publishing and the whole project, please share (preferably in the feature request section). We welcome all suggestions :)

Oh yeah sorry early morning and thinking about something else. That is how you get it all started. What if you have made a large number of changes can you use that to publish them all? Agian sorry I got my mind else where. That and the breakfast Burritio I got this morning was more taco size than burrito size.

Yes, as long as there are no changes you want to omit, you can publish the whole project.

Oh ok learned something new, Thanks.

Thanks for your helkp Elia.

But unfortunately; I've been doing exactly that. And yet it still references the development cubes.

When I publish these pages I've just been in the developmnet project, going to the "open" tab, but then right-clicking on the dashboard I wish to publish and selecting publish from there.

Daniel, did you also check Publish Referenced Items?

What I would do at this point is make a new production Project then publish the entire Dev to that new one via the admin console. Then check the referrences there and if all is well change over to the new Production project before deleting the one that has problems.

After re-reading your original question, here is a theoretical process that should work:

1. Create a Development project with a cube and a metric set.

2. Publish the project as a Production project.

3. Make changes to the Production data cube.

4. Make changes to the Development metric set.

With this setup, if you publish the Development metric set and do not include referenced items, it will automatically connect to the Production data cube. However, if the Production data cube was not initially published with this project, this will not work and you will have to manually re-wire.

With that being said, I find your third paragraph confusing. Could you add more details or include a screenshot of your custom attribute configuration? You have the option to specify the data cube to be used for each account.