Bug? Order of state styles affects cells

I’m wondering if this is a bug, or perhaps a missing feature?

I just learned that the order of state styles matters. If 2 or more states apply in a given situation (they’d be from different state groups) then the lowest one on the list is what applies.

Example:
Screenshot%202021-09-16%20122702

There are 2 states that conflict in my case, the red dot vs the blue dot ones; you’ll notice that they all set a background color, either yellow or white.

At first, I only had the first red dot; when this state is active, the background is yellow. However, when I added the blue dot state style, the yellow background color got overwritten. That is, when both of these states are active, the background is white.

So, I added the red dot state style again to test it. Sure enough, the background color went back to yellow.

Therefore, the lowest one on the list determines the winner when there’s a conflict.

Now, why call that a bug? Well, there’s no way for me to adjust the order of these, so I wondered if this works this way on accident. However, I could also just see this becoming a feature request, with that feature being the ability to re-order state styles to manage who “wins” in these cases. Re-creating state styles is too cumbersome to be a solution.

What do you think?

Hi Ken,

Yes, this is a case where the order of the state styles matters. In a less advanced case, it would not matter because only one state from each state group can apply at one time regardless of their order, and in case there are multiple state groups the issue should only come up if state styles for both can affect the same setting for the same cell (such as the cell background). We should add reordering options for this case though so that you don’t need to delete and re-add or add multiple state styles like you did here, and I entered an issue 90168 to do this if possible.

Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like