Color Visualizations Using States by Hierarchy Members (Video Tip)

Usually, when people think about visual states, they think about conditions based on specific number ranges. Did you know that you can use a state to provide colouring in your data visualization without a measure? I’ll show you how.

If you’d like to learn more, I’d recommend you go to my learning channel - Off the Charts (with Jeff).
https://www.dundas.com/resources/off-the-charts-tips-from-an-expert

5 Likes

Thanks Jeff for the Tip

2 Likes

Great tip, Jeff! Thanks!

1 Like

Update: It turns out my knowledge was of this a bit out of date on this one! In the past, you needed a measure, as I described in the video. If you’re on one of the more recent versions of Dundas BI, you can select measure “(None)” instead of providing a dummy measure. This feature was a nice quality of life change as you couldn’t get past the configure state screen before without a measure.

I’ll leave my original video unedited if anyone is on an older version of Dundas BI, but it’s neat to see that you no longer require a measure to be added.

1 Like

Just wanted to add to this that if you have multiple hierarchies that you will be converting to states, you’ll need separate state groups for each one. It’s deceiving - if you set up a state group for one, the others can use it… but they won’t show the correct state indicator.

I had 4 separate boolean columns I converted to states, so I had to make 4 state groups, and select that state group in the Properties for it to work right.

Just noting for anyone else using this!

3 Likes

Thanks for the great addition, Ken!

1 Like