Using States with a Hierarchy (Video Tip)

Did you know that you can still use a state to provide colouring/conditional formatting in your data visualization in the absence of a measure? I’ll show you how.

If you’d like to learn more, I’d recommend you go to my learning channel - Off the Charts (with Jeff).
https://www.dundas.com/resources/off-the-charts-tips-from-an-expert

5 Likes

Thanks Jeff for the Tip

2 Likes

Great tip, Jeff! Thanks!

1 Like

Update: It turns out my knowledge was of this a bit out of date on this one! In the past, you needed a measure, as I described in the video. If you’re on one of the more recent versions of Dundas BI, you can select measure “(None)” instead of providing a dummy measure. This feature was a nice quality of life change as you couldn’t get past the configure state screen before without a measure.

I’ll leave my original video unedited if anyone is on an older version of Dundas BI, but it’s neat to see that you no longer require a measure to be added.

1 Like

Just wanted to add to this that if you have multiple hierarchies that you will be converting to states, you’ll need separate state groups for each one. It’s deceiving - if you set up a state group for one, the others can use it… but they won’t show the correct state indicator.

I had 4 separate boolean columns I converted to states, so I had to make 4 state groups, and select that state group in the Properties for it to work right.

Just noting for anyone else using this!

3 Likes

Thanks for the great addition, Ken!

1 Like