[Tip 1 - 39] Dundas BI Tips & Tricks!

I've updated the post with a link!

Thanks Jordan:)

Will this configuration lead into load balancing configuration?

Good idea.

i like this tip ,, Thank you

good tips , Thank you

I've used the help overlay in one of my dashboards and it was very helpful for our client.

This will not create the load balancing configuration for you - for that we recommend you use the load balancer the organization is comfortable with and if there is none in use then just use the IIS load balancer. This configurtaion will help with controlling the server settings under each group so you can have a fine grain control when you do deploy on multiple servers.

Thanks Ariel for the clarification.

Tip 17 - Knowing When a Filter Value is Applied

When using a table visualization in Dundas, you can easily detect if a certain column in the table is filtered. To do so, simply hover over the table header and you will notice a filter icon showing up on those columns headers where there is a filter value not set to all values

This is great! Much easier than trying to keep track of the tips on Word. lol

This is a great idea. I usually find the weekly tips helpful but I sometimes miss them (holidays, work, etc.). Also, it will be beneficial to those who have not been here since the start.

Tip 18 - Dynamically Expand and Collapse Content on your Dashboard

A lot of modern designs these days include a dynamic selection allowing users to show and hide content on their view (not only on dashboards but on other webpages as well). In Dundas BI, you can easily achieve this kind of behavious (I.e - if you want the users to see the filters control or collapse the filters section) using the expand and collapse cell interaction.

http://www.dundas.com/support/learning/documentation/design-view/interactions/expand-or-collapse-a-template-grid-cell

Tip 19 - Creating Dynamic Navigation Menus

Often times, the consumers would like to be able to quickly navigate between a few dashboards/reports of interest. By using buttons or other controls, it is easy to setup a navigation interaction and build a navigation menu for those users. However, when you keep on adding more dashboards to your solutions, it can become time-consuming to add more buttons to your dashboards or dashboards templates. To avoid that and achieve a dynamic navigation system, you can use the tile navigation component and configure it to point to a certain folder or project that contains all the dashboards/reports of interest. That way, all you need to do the next time a dashboard is created, is to simply drop it in the right location and other users will automatically see it as part of their navigation menu.

http://www.dundas.com/support/support-center/support-articles/viewing/how-to-set-up-tile-navigation

You can even do as far as changing your tiles to actually show the images of the dashboards/reports.

http://www.dundas.com/support/developer/script-library/controls/navigation/tile-navigation-with-thumbnails

Tip 20 - Bing Maps Integration

One can easily inject JavaScript onto their dashboard and integrate third party visuals such as Bing Maps for D3.Js visualizations. To learn more about the exact steps, follow the link below:

http://www.dundas.com/support/developer/samples/integration/integrating-a-bing-maps-into-dundas-bi

Good tip

Try to visualize the data in an easy way for the audience to understand from a glimpse.

We use this frequently when creating dashboards for our clients. While it may only be used once or twice by each individual to orient them to the particulars of each dashboard, it's definitely a time saver with training. We've been pretty successful with this - to the point that one user called the client's help desk complaining that a dashboard was published without the "instructions".

Tip 21 - Finding Your Dashboard Dependencies

Ever find yourself asking,

"What was the name of that data cube I used to power the metric sets for this sales dashboard?"

We, we thought you may have. If this is the case, then you should know that Dundas BI allows you to see not only your dashboard immediate dependencies (i.e. metrics set), but also their dependencies (i.e. data cubes and data connectors). To see those, simply use the recursive reference option under your dashboard (or desired object) properties

https://www.dundas.com/support/secondary/file-and-folder-properties#h6-references-to-and-from-the-file

Tip 22 - Creating Your Own Filter Buttons

In Dundas BI Version 3.0, we introduced the option to extend the list of filter tokens and create new possible selections a user may want to add to his filter drop down list. If you missed that, you can learn more about it:

HERE

However, sometimes one may want to create a design that includes specific values selection outside of the default filter control. For example, you may have a visualization that shows data by geography. Within this visualization, you want to be able to change the region selection by clicking on a small thumbnail of that region or by just clicking on a button showing 'Europe' or 'North America, without having to open a filter drop-down and choose from a list. You can see a live example:

HERE

If you are considering creating this type of design - you should know that you don't need to write a script for it. Instead you can simply choose your component control (button, label, image, check-box, etc.) and setup an interaction to choose a specific filter value for it. You can see an example showcasing the steps to do so using a button control:

HERE