Dundas VIP Bookworms

Show Me the Numbers, 2nd Ed., Stephen Few, Analytics Press

Why are pie charts evil? How does information get into the brain? What is enough information and what is too much? Few has spent a lifetime testing and trying visualizations, so this is realy a deep dive, but it can truly help you get your critical points across to your audience.

I don’t know if this is fair but I want to recommend an author rather than a book.
The author I will recommend is Hampton Sides who writes history but it reads like a story. Everything is true but it always keeps me riveted. Whether it is a polar expedition, the hunt for Martin Luther King’s assassin or WW2, his books are a brilliant way to learn history.

1 Like

Lord Of The Rings, hands down!

1 Like

When does the movie come out?

I should probably read more

The Three-Body Problem
(Remembrance of Earth’s Past)

Hard Sci-Fi that is full of technical exposition about everything from quantum mechanics to artificial intelligence.

2 Likes

I’m almost finished with book 7 of the Expanse series. It’s a good sci-fi series and book 8 comes out in March!

1 Like

I enjoying reading any type of books with my kids

Sounds great! Have you seen the TV series? How’s that compare to the book?

Entire trilogy now available on Netflix! Time to re-watch, and re-watch, and re-watch!

The goal m. Goldratt

For fun:
Shogun by James Clavell

I’m not typically into historical fiction, but I couldn’t put this one down.

For semi-work-related:
Data and Goliath by Bruce Schneier (or anything by Bruce Schneier)

Bruce explains things very matter-of-factly. I like how he describes the balance between keeping your personally identifiable information private versus participating in a technology-driven society that collects data on practically everything you do. He provides practical examples for people concerned about their privacy, and provides funny (scary?) examples of questionable things our data is being used for.

1 Like

Richard Branson’s Finding My Virginity: The New Autobiography is my latest focus quite inspiring as a business leader while you are being caught up with customer detail.

1 Like

It’s cheating a bit as it’s technically a collection of short stories (though all on the same topic and by the same authour, so they stitch together quite nicely): A Bee Stung Me, So I Killed All the Fish (Notes from the Homeland, 2003-2006)

I love it because it combines so much into so few pages. It’s satirical, it has my broken sense of humour, and to the authour’s unending credit, each short story is written in a different style, which as a non-writer I imagine is astoundingly difficult to pull off.

1 Like

Great book to read! great share!

Just finished this series and absolutely loved it! Really interesting concept and situations.

Picking just one is so hard! Maybe I can cheat a bit and pick an author: Blake Crouch.

Dark Matter, Recursion, and the Wayward Pines series were all so much fun to read!

Best is a difficult question to answer, but I’m a big fan of Creighton. Jurassic Park was the first, and most impactful, of his that I read.

Any Wheel of Time readers here? I’m super excited that Amazon has a WoT miniseries in the works.

WoT = World of Tanks

1 Like